Skip to main content

MAJA BLANCA CAKE

Maja Blanca Cake Tart Good morning everyone( or evening depending under what palm tree you are reading this post) and Happy Birthday! Who's birthday? Depends on specific cases ( Happy Bday Ate A and Gabrielle (counting that you'll be a Feb. baby, people born this month are the best!), but mostly generic we should celebrate the best day of all, Women's Day, on March 1st! Why the best? Because it's well known they always bring the best ( or worst ) in us ( but for this specific occasion we shall assume it's the best! ), and as such I have researched deep inside my endless bucket of inspiration for an appropriate gift. Not having found one and considering that flowers are overrated, I shall give you the best gift of all: the gift of knowledge, as I shall bake the best cake ever, using an old filipino recipe and my best unique ideas for an astonishing end result that I shall eat all alone while you cheer Sarap, Sarap ! Yes, as you already figured it out from t

HOT FRIED SILOG

HOT FRIED SILOG

Good morning everyone and welcome back to the unsuccessful filipino cooking blog. As you may have not noticed, I took a break last weekend because of R's visit and because her sinigang and adobo are too good to be real. As such there was no need for my infamous food, but since now I'm alone again and I need to conserve the precious ( my preciooooouuuus ) leftovers for as long as possible, I shall get back to the pot, where I belong, and try inaugurating a new chapter in the history of my kitchen: cooking healthier. Yes, you heard right, I am willing to try to eat better following R's advice, because we all know that you are what you eat and I'm eating a lot of potatoes lately. Also the point was very well argued, ending with the traditional encouragement "or I'll punch your face".
So let's begin first by cleaning the fridge of all remaining vegetables and deploying them into a new traditional recipe that I slightly improved and called Fried HotSilog. We have prepared silog before but this one will be using fried red rice instead, because aside from the quality of being red it seems it's also better for your weightloos diet.
 Alright, so let me introduce you to our new actors in today's posting, a set of cambodian wooden spoons and a chinese wok! Yes, I'm already diversifying in the hopes of discovering the secret to the purpose of meaning, foodwise.
1-We cook with coconut oil! Wow, I know right, already starting strong and healthy. Since was kept in the fridge we need to scoop some with a knife. We can make a small rabbit sculpture out of it but the temperature quickly transforms the work of art into a pool of tears ( as my daily routine since R's departure). We watch it melt away along with another dream of winning the lottery last Saturday night.
2-Place some fresh (defrosted) broccoli in the new wok pan!Complement with some string beans we didn't use in the siningang and a cubed eggplant which shared a similar forgotten faith. Once they got stirfried a bit, improve the mix with some low sodium soy sauce and some fish sauce. Ignore the smell and observe that lately the fridge door started getting filled with different sauces of all shapes and colors. We thank R for making the fridge look more like a fridge ingredient wise. You can tell she was here as the Tabasco bottle is almost empty( for who doesn't know, hot sauce is R's favourite. Given one million $ and a bottle of Tabasco, she will certainly choose the million, but first she'll put some hot sauce on top).
3-Add the rice and mix the mix until you get a Remix. Now add the red thai chilly peppers ( woop woop, yes, R was here! ) to add some spiciness in your diet and feel more alive! Be a man!
4- Well, now just prepare some boring hotdog and an ordinary egg to finish the meal.
Is it a breakfast? Is it a lunch? Noo, it's fried-hotsilog super brunch! Serve with some garlic salted fried liver also for more diversity. Delicious? Sarap!

Comments